by Debbie Cvijanovich
photo by Jack Burleigh
2017 is upon us—a time for a fresh start and new beginnings!
When the clock strikes midnight, many of us commit to new goals (resolutions) ranging from breaking undesirable habits to creating appealing ones.
Making resolutions is pretty darn easy. Sticking to them, however, not quite a cinch. Our seaside town of Ventura, thriving with a broad variety of opportunities, makes it possible for your goals to happen!
Have you made yours? Here’s a list of the most popular.
SAVE MORE, SPEND LESS
Stick to a budget. Ventura is well known for its plentiful thrift stores, Not just for saving money, they are ideal for digging up cool, unique treasures and coveted vintage finds. Opt to pack a lunch and enjoy it al fresco on a picnic table at Grant Park overlooking our town or oceanside. Save gas by riding your bike on our scenic coastal path or by hopping on the free Ventura trolley which runs between the Ventura Harbor and Downtown 11am-11pm daily.
ADOPT A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
- Eat healthy: Visit the weekly farmers’ market loading up on organic and fresh produce grown locally. Hone your cooking skills by shopping at Spicetopia where exotic spices are guaranteed to inspire. Take the Ventura Food Tour and learn about the bounty our county has to offer. Opt to dine at healthy eateries such as: Nature’s Grill, Pokeland, Lassen’s deli, Urbane Cafe.
- Less stress: Meditation and contemplation comes easy in our soulful environment. Join Ventura Pop-Up Yoga. Let your cares melt away with the soothing effects of the ocean or hiking our hillsides (Ventura Botanical Gardens, Arroyo Verde Park, Promenade). Embrace Ventura’s “laid back casual attitude”.
- Fitness: Join a gym-Fitzone. Get outdoors and move more. Pedal. Walk. Run. Get a monthly pass and Lap swim at Kimball Aquatic Center.
- Get active: Rent a kayak at the Ventura Harbor. Join a running or cycling club. Surf on our world class waves. Rent a tandem bike by the Pier. Simply take a long beach walk.
LEARN SOMETHING NEW
Be curious and learning is one of the best ways to slow down aging. Ventura offers many options to exercise the noggin while having fun.
- Take a class: Check out offerings at Ventura College, in the seasonal City of Ventura Parks & Recreation guide and at the Adult Center. Ideas: Learn a new language, paint, dance, sport, etc.
- Try a new hobby: Learn to play golf, tennis, paddleboard, surf, scuba, play guitar, etc.
RECONNECT WITH YOUR MATE
Strengthen the relationship by rekindling the romance. Take advantage of Ventura’s spectacular sunsets together. Get outdoors. Laugh and play more at these cool date spots: Ventura Harbor Comedy Club, Improv, Discovery bowling. Plan a standing date night: visit local wineries/breweries, see a movie and enjoy our eclectic music culture at a nightclub.
LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST
The most popular of all resolutions…Make the most of EVERY moment. Live in the present. Have an optimistic attitude. Make it count. Don’t put it off…do it now!
Making memories and enjoying the beauty of life comes easy in sunny Ventura. Our charming town showcases nature’s best gifts and outdoor fun…every. single. day.