Posted: Thursday, Jun 28th, 2018
8 Reasons Why You Should Attend The Ventura Music Festival
top image by Felix Cortez
blog by Debbie Cvijanovich and Susan ScottGypsy Jazz! Mambo! Tango! Classical with a twist! And so much more… Something enchanting for everyone! In its 24th exciting year, the Ventura Music Festival (VMF) showcases an eclectic range of top-notch music and dance unfolding in our charming seaside community on July 12-15, July 18 and July 20-22. In February, my husband and I were treated to a “sampling” of Twanguero (see #2 below) during the Thomas Fire free community concert held in Mission Park. We were both instantly captivated by his vibrant energy and passionate musical style. (In fact…I couldn’t wait… I googled him within the first few minutes of strumming!) VMF Executive Director, the eloquent Susan Scott, artfully illustrates what’s in store this year…
8 Great Reasons Why You Should Attend The Ventura Music Festival…
1. JOHN JORGENSON QUINTETThursday, July 12th – Olivas Adobe – 7:30 pm Grammy-winning legend and his four all-stars perform an evening of Gypsy Jazz inspired by Django Reinhardt’s swing sound out of Paris in the ’30s.
2. TWANGUEROFriday, July 13th – Ventura College Performing Arts Center – 8:00 pm Virtuoso guitarist and trio serve up a “rockabilly mambo” mix and more for a genre-mashing experience that is playful, slinky, and cool.
3. PINK MARTINISaturday, July 14th – Oxnard Performing Arts Center – 8:00 pm The intoxicating “little orchestra” from Portland is still an international sensation after 20 years. Plan on an evening of high octane fun.
4. TRIO CÉLESTESunday, July 15th – Ventura College Performing Arts Center – 3:00 pm Expect gorgeous Beethoven and Dvořák from the “unfailingly stylish and technically dazzling” Trio Céleste.
5. JARABE MEXICANOFREE Public Concert – Wednesday, July 18th – Mission Park – 5:30 pm Electrifying quintet combines traditional mariachi instruments with lively percussion and a Spanish and English songbook that includes cumbias, revamped DooWop and other American classics. Bring low chairs, blankets, picnics.
6. AKROPOLISFriday, July 20th – Ventura College Performing Arts Center – 8:00 pm Five super talented musicians explode with infectious energy as they take listeners on an amazing, interactive musical adventure of both new and traditional repertoire.
7. PERLA BATALLASaturday, July 21st – Ventura College Performing Arts Center – 8:00 pm One of the most breathtaking voices on planet Earth presents her “Frida Kahlo song cycle” inspired by the artist’s tempestuous love affair with Diego Rivera.
8. MALASHOCK DANCESunday, July 22nd – Ventura College Performing Arts Center – 3:00 pm Entertaining, funny, and surprising dance duets about relationships, also featuring actors and live as well as recorded music. Enticed? I certainly am! Get your tickets before they sell out at www.venturamusicfestival.org.
Get to know Ventura, and discover the best things to do around the city.
The 2019 Ventura County Fair Concert Line Up!
Six Reasons Why You Should Expand Your Musical Horizons in Ventura — Right Now
Five Fun Things To Do In Ventura This Weekend
Are There Live Events in Ventura this Summer? You Bet.
Itinerary Builder for the Arts and Culture Enthusiast