Anacapa and Santa Cruz Islands are currently under construction
Santa Cruz and Anacapa Island (Channel Islands National Park) Closures Begin in October. Here’s What You Need to Know in a Nutshell…
- The Park is undertaking two large construction projects—the replacement of the pier at Scorpion Anchorage on Santa Cruz Island and the crane on Anacapa Island.
- The Scorpion Anchorage pier construction is scheduled to start in November. It’s expected to take six to eight months. Adjacent Scorpion Valley will be closed to the public for the entire time, except for 12/21/2019 through 1/5/2020.
- The Anacapa crane project is scheduled to begin in October. The project is expected to finish by April 2020. Anacapa Island will be closed for both day and overnight use for three weeks during the month of October and for at least a week each in November, December, and March.
- During construction, Island Packers will offer alternative destinations for visitors. They will offer daily trips to Prisoners Harbor on Santa Cruz Island, weekend winter trips to Santa Rosa Island, and special day trips to lesser-known island destinations. They plan to offer extended wildlife cruises, including visits to the Painted Cave, one of the largest known sea caves in the world. They’re also offering multi-island day trips and inter-island camper shuttles. Please consult their website for offerings. www.islandpackers.com
- On Santa Cruz Island, Santa Barbara Adventure Company will relocate their kayaking and snorkeling operations to Prisoners Harbor during the pier construction.
- The schedules for each of these major construction projects may change due to weather and other project considerations. Please check the Channel Islands National Park for updates. https://www.nps.gov/chis/index.htm
- And know they are working to make the Park better still!